Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day One Hundred Seventy Four: Oops, I Did (Asian) Again

Last night I made Martha's Hoisin-Roasted Game Hens.  Hoisin is a sort of sweet, spicy soy sauce.  Yes, I made Asian food....again.  :yawn:  Blame it on my husband.  After our weekend Asian Pork Fest, I've decided that while I love Asian food, I only like really good Asian food....and that caliber of Asian food is not cooked by me.

But ever the perfectionist, I decided to try, try again...Besides, I find those adorable little game hens hard to resist.  They are so tiny and cute!  Like the Kelly Ripa of poultry.

This recipe makes four game hens.  That's a lot of poultry to gamble with a new recipe, so I made two with the glaze and two without.  So if the Asian glaze isn't great, I still have two decent, if plain, hens. The glaze is easy:  just mix the ingredients and brush on the hen.  Throw it in the oven and it cooks in half an hour.  That's fast and easy enough for a school night.

Completed, glazed hen:

In retrospect, I didn't need to worry about the waste.  My husband, who I suspect may have been Asian in a former life, ate a whole hen himself.  Actually, "ate" is probably the wrong word.  "Inhaled" would be more accurate.  With the red peppers, it's much too spicy for my children.  They preferred the plain hens.  At least they are predictable little buggers.

I'm officially overdosed on Asian food.  We won't be ordering takeout anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment