Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day One Hundred Fifty: So-So Soba Salad

Because I'm always looking for something Martha-ish to do, my favorite resource is MarthaStewart.com.  I can research my projects just about anywhere, especially with my iPhone or iPad.  

The one problem with using these tools is that I sometimes find myself accidentally selecting a link I'm not interested in.  :darn amazing touch-screen technology:   This is how I found Martha's recipe for Papaya, Shrimp and Soba Salad.  Soba, in case you were wondering, are Asian noodles.  My husband loves stir fry, so I thought I would give it a try.  It also happens to be a pretty healthy dish.

Like most Asian recipes, however, it has an ingredient list a mile long.  :fair warning:

Cutting the papaya: 

This recipe uses something called Tamarind concentrate.  According to wikipedia, Tamarind is a tropical fruit with a sweet and sour taste.  I looked for it a good twenty minutes before I asked a store clerk.  It took him approximately three seconds to locate it.

Lesson here, Gentlemen:  stop and ask for directions.


My husband really liked this dish.  I really didn't.  To me, the Tamarind makes it taste like I spilled a fruity cocktail on my stir-fry, but decided to eat it anyway...Go ahead.  Pause and consider the thought.


:pause for contemplation:



I'm just thinking:  not the best flavor combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment