Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day One Hundred Fifty Six: Divorce Stir-Fry

I have a dear, sweet friend whose husband, Alfie*, was previously married.  We refer to this other wife as his Practice Wife.  When Alfie and the Practice Wife were divorced, Alfie generously gave the Practice Wife everything but the wok.  (This is not an Asian euphemism for "everything but the kitchen sink."  He only wanted the wok.)  To me, this act was not only exceedingly generous, but possibly the best burn in the history of divorce.
*Names have been changed to protect the innocent. 

I'm not sure why Alfie only wanted the wok. I do know that stir-fry cooking is especially good for cooks whose skills extend mostly to the cutting of veggies and boiling water, since you only have to cut the ingredients, throw them in the wok and make some rice. (This is no reflection on Alfie's cooking skills now, which are legendary.)

And so, when I made Martha's Beef Stir-fry with Snap Peas, I thought of my dear friend and Alfie. While this easy recipe doesn't technically require a wok, you could certainly use yours, or ask your ex if you could borrow one.


2 comments: