Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day One Hundred Fifty Four: Fifty Shades of Filet

My hubby has been out of town.  To welcome him home I made Martha's Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon.  It's a simple twist on our usual steak-on-the-grill fare.


 I like that Martha reminds us to tie up the filets before cooking.  It helps the meat keep its shape.  Consider it Spanx for your meat.  My butcher, while very good, never sells meat tied up.  So I took the opportunity to practice my inner Christian Grey and tie the meat up myself.

Steak tied up like Fifty Shades of Grey:


(Yes, I did go there.)

The pepper-crusted steaks were very good...although I may have taken the pepper a little too far.  The recipe says "season filets generously" with pepper, not "batter filets in pepper", which is basically what I did. I probably could have dropped the whole thing in a deep-fryer.

My shapely, well-seasoned filet:

I think Christian Grey would be approve. 

3 comments: