Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day One Hundred Sixty Three: Peanut Butter Birthday Bars

I have a sweet friend who is turning thirty one twenty nine tomorrow.  I wanted to make a birthday treat for her and decided to try Martha's No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars.  I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, but since my son is highly allergic to peanuts, I rarely make anything with peanut butter.

Even no-baking the peanut butter caused a near-mutany at my house:

My son:    Mom? :holding nose: Are you finished with the peanut butter?  It stinks.

Me:    Almost finished, sweetie.

My son:   :still holding nose:   You know I'm allergic to peanuts, right?  And...they are smelling up the house.

Me:    Yes, I remember that you are allergic to peanuts.  These treats aren't for you.

My son:   :still holding nose:  Okay....Do you have something I could use to pinch my nose so I don't have to smell the peanut butter?

Me:  Uh, no.

My son:  :still holding nose:  You should take that peanut butter outside.

Me:   I'm almost done.  I promise.

My son:  :still holding nose:  Maybe I'll go outside...

This continued until I had sealed the offending peanut butter away in the refrigerator.


These bars were pretty good, although given the grief my son gave me for the duration of this project, I doubt I'll make them again.  I hope my friend liked them, though.  She is totally worth all the complaining.

1 comment:

  1. GRS is a hoot!! Tell him not to try plugging his nose with a clothespin like MMK did when AKK was enjoying a peanut butter sandwich. The pain was worse than the smell ;)

    ReplyDelete