Friday, May 18, 2012

Day Seventy Three: Muffing the Banana Cupcakes

I haven't made cupcakes in a while, so I thought I would try a new cupcake recipe.  After I roasted those bananas the other day, I've been dreaming about bananas and decided to make Martha's Banana Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream.

The cupcakes aren't very exciting, but the caramel buttercream icing looks delicious.  You start by making caramel with sugar and water:

It should cooked undisturbed until it turns a dark amber color.  Unfortunately,  "undisturbed" also means "forgotten" in my book and I burned the first attempt.   And the second attempt:

Hmmm.  Somehow I couldn't get the caramel right and had to start over twice before it turned out the right color.

Once the caramel cools, you add the it to the buttercream and end up with this delicious almond-colored icing:

Banana Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream:

When I tasted these, my first thought was:  "Well...these cupcakes are tasty."

My second thought was:  "This is not a cupcake."

Because I was running around after my kids, there was a *little bitty* mix-up.  I was distracted...and instead of making Banana Cupcakes, what I actually made was Banana Muffins. :darnsearchengine:

Oops.

And because I'm not a very experienced baker, I didn't realize it until I tasted the finished product.

SO, looks like I will be having banana muffins with ridiculously good caramel icing for breakfast.    

:bangsheadontable:

I haven't told my husband yet.  I'm not sure I will ever live this one down.

No comments:

Post a Comment