Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day Seventy Nine: How to be Popular in Pre-K

My son's pre-k class is studying the ocean this week. When I found Martha's Fish Bowl dessert, I had to take advantage of the theme and try it out.

The key to this recipe is using unflavored gelatin and blue food coloring,  NOT blue Jello.  This meant I had to hunt down unflavored gelatin...which required stopping at three stores and baffling several grocery clerks.

Me:  Do you sell unflavored gelatin?

Them:  Gelatin?

Me:  Yes, gelatin.  As in Jello.  I looked next to the Jello but I couldn't find it.

Them:  :Blanklook:  Gelatin?  We sell Jello.  I've never seen anything called "gelatin".

Me:  Gelatin. Is. Jello.

Them:  Oh.   Did you look next to the Jello?    


I finally found unflavored gelatin (on my own) at the third store.  It was next to the Jello.

I followed the directions, added blue food coloring and let it sit overnight:

After it sets, cut slits in the gelatin and slip in the gummy fish.  I found some adorable clown fish and starfish.  It turned out ridiculously cute.

When I brought it to class in the morning, I was nearly mobbed by parents and teachers trying to take a look. Children were in awe.  I felt like the prom queen...until my youngest daughter spit up all over me. :realitycheck:   

Best part:  my son's teacher is going to let her students make this project in class next year.  Look at Martha and me, contributing to future generations of creative genius.  One pre-k class at a time. 

I'll need more gelatin.

1 comment: