Monday, May 21, 2012

Day Seventy Six: Pillow Box Murder Mystery

As a thank-you present, the parents in my son's pre-k class are taking up a donation to buy his teacher and teacher's aide gift cards.  The parent selected to collect the money and purchase the gift cards was me.

Actually, I volunteered, but that's only because I was asked to help...and apparently I have a compulsive disorder where I can't decline an opportunity to volunteer.  It's called volunteerosis.

Yes, I just made that up.



At any rate, I'm buying these gift cards and I wanted to put them in a cute box or something....I figured Martha would have an idea for me.  And of course she did.  I decided to make these cute little pillow Gift Boxes.  Her boxes are Christmas-themed, but I figured I could replace the holly with a bow.

I decided to use some leftover paper from the bunny boxes to create these pillow boxes.  Leftover paper:

Paper folded and cut into basic shape:

Cutting edges to create the "pillow" shape:

See why they are called "pillow" boxes?

The boxes were turning out pretty well, but it was about this time that I had to step away from my desk to feed my youngest daughter.  I didn't realize that I should have set a personal bodyguard on my pillow boxes.  When I returned, both boxes were missing.  After an exhaustive search, during which I questioned my sanity several times ("Did I put the boxes away?"  "Did I really make the boxes?') I located the boxes in the corner:  Utterly. Mangled.  

My middle daughter (age three) was unable, apparently, to keep her little paws off my pillow boxes.  She "borrowed" them to store some of her crayons.

I love that child.  I need to keep reminding myself.

Love. Her.

Since that was the last of the cardstock, I had to start over.  I decided to try Martha's Oagami envelopes instead.  They look easy.  And easily replaceable should someone decide to "borrow" them.  

That's the piece of paper I started with there on the right.  That's a completed envelope on the left. 

These envelopes will look pretty cute with the gift card inside and tied up with a little bow.  Speaking of pretty cute, my middle daughter is lucky she is so dang adorable. But if she ever "borrows" something again, I may have to lock her in the closet.

Love. Her.
Love. Her.
Love. Her.




1 comment:

  1. Step AWAY from the sign-up sheet or you'll find yourself the Logistics Chair for next year's Gala!! Whoops.

    ReplyDelete