Friday, May 4, 2012

Day Fifty Nine: An A-Bismol Day: Pink Centerpieces

Our Kentucky Derby Party is tomorrow and I spent the day in a bit of drama.  See, I reserved these raspberry linens ages ago from my local rental company.  They are the most lovely shade of raspberry and are somewhere between linen and burlap.

Just perfect for a Derby Party.

:sigh:

I've been carrying around the swatch for these particular, gorgeous linens for at least a month.  I have based every decision on these linens.  The paper wreath, the centerpieces...I'm even making pink strawberry lemonade to continue our color theme.

And when the items were delivered today...no linens.

Somehow they were left off the order.  Needless to say, I was ready to fling myself from the nearest bridge.  BUT, I persevered and spent the day finding the Next Best Thing.  And now, after I've had a few glasses of wine, I'm satisfied with the result.

:deep breath:

And I'm ready to move on.  I've been trying to come up with a nice centerpiece idea.  I usually do flowers, but since the party is outside, in May, in the afternoon, the flowers don't always survive so well.  I found a few ideas from Martha, but none of them quite fit the bill.  So I came up with a new Good Thing.

Brace yourselves, people.
 
I saw this idea about wrapping streamers around hurricanes to make colorful candle centerpieces, and this idea about using sheets of vellum as a hurricane, and this idea about coloring water in candle centerpiece....but none of them really excited me.  The derby is during the day so candles won't help much.

So I decided to use these glass hurricanes I used at our Pedal Party  and combined Martha's ideas to come up with this: 

















I used some (faux) peonies in the outer vase and wrapped the inner vase with raspberry vellum.  It's super colorful and will look great outside tomorrow.

I'm so dang proud I could pat myself on the back.

Or, it could be the wine giving me a false sense of confidence and I will wake up tomorrow wondering why I used Pepto Bismol as a centerpiece.

Only time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment