Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day Two Hundred Twelve: Super-Hero Pot Pies

Now that cooler weather is upon us, nothing sounds better than some comfort food.  I saw Martha's  Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry on Thursday and had to try them.  I ate pot pies as a child, but mine were the pre-frozen packaged variety.  They took half the afternoon to cook and were all but tasteless to anyone over the age of ten.  (To be fair to my mother, pot pies are one of the few pre-packaged things I ate as a child.)

If you are like me and have a soft spot in your heart for pot pies, you'll be happy to know that this recipe only takes about thirty minutes to prep and only about ten minutes in the oven.  The puff pastry on the top is a nice touch, and looks gourmet...

Mine came out really pretty and were absolutely delicious.  My kids were skeptical about all that food-group fraternizing in one dish.  The puff pastry was as far as they got before they started asking serious questions.  (If my kids ask about a food, I always counter with some Super-Power that said food would provide, if we lived in a comic book.  i.e. carrots are good for vision, therefore they help you see in the dark.)

Them:  What is this orange stuff?
Me:      Carrots. They help you see in the dark.
Them:  What's this white stuff? :looking skeptical:
Me:        Potatoes.  They give you energy to run and jump all day faster than a cheetah.  Better than      Spiderman.

Them:   What is this??? :semi-disgusted:   
Me:        It's a parsnip.  It's sort of like a carrot...remember about seeing in the dark?
Them:    And this?

Me:        Chicken.  It's protein.  Helps you grow big muscles like Superman.

I don't always get very far with this technique, but it does work well from time to time.  This time, both kids ate about three bites before pronouncing that they were full.  I call it a victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment