Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day Two Hundred Ninety-Nine: Baked Apple (Not for) Dessert

While we were packing up to head home from our beach vacation, I realized we had a few uneaten apples.  Knowing they would only be thrown out, I decided to make Martha's Baked Apples.  I figured the apples were more likely to be eaten if they tasted like the inside of an apple pie. Martha suggests serving them with vanilla ice cream.  My imagination conjured grand dessert plans for the kids....

...who wouldn't touch these apples with a ten-foot pole.

Seriously.  Five children came to investigate the captivating smell coming from the kitchen, but none of them would dare try the apples.  I was baffled because the apples were tasty and clearly were a Pied Piper for any kid under ten.


I ended up serving the sliced apples to the adults as a side for grilled pork chops.  They were still excellent, even without the vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment