Friday, January 4, 2013

Day Three Hundred Two: What's Your Sign?

I have a kumquat tree that I've trained to grow flat on a fence.  The fancy term is espalier.  It means "I have a very small yard".  

Just kidding.  

At any rate, my little kumquat tree usually produces a cornucopia of kumquats.  This year it produced precisely four.  Four fruit the size of your your thumbnail.  

I was determined to make a dessert or possibly a garnish with my four kumquats. After finding them on the tree, I ran inside to grab my camera. When I returned, there were only two left.  My husband and son had each eaten one straight from the tree, completely destroying my grand kumquat plans.  

Two kumquats.  This one was saved from the clutches of my family:

Thankfully I found a recipe that uses only two kumquats:  Martha's Capricorn.  It's a rose Champagne cocktail. (I swear I don't have an obsession with Champagne cocktails).  You can make it for your favorite Capricorn.  Mine is my sister, Tracy.  She lives hundreds of miles away, but I know she'll be happy to know I had a drink in her honor.

It's a Champagne glass dipped in kumquat-laced sugar, filled with Rose Champagne and served with a slice of kumquat.

Delicious.

And it needed precisely two kumquats.

No comments:

Post a Comment