Monday, September 3, 2012

Day One Hundred Eighty: French-Cut (Your Fingers Off) Green Beans

Last week I bought one of those little bags of haricot vert, otherwise known as French green beans.  They are great raw or cooked.  I brought the bag o' beans home, put it in my refrigerator and promptly forgot about it...Until today when I found those little beans looking past their prime.  So, I decided to make Martha's French-Cut Green Beans with Dill Butter.

The recipe starts by removing the tough tips of the green beans. That's easy enough.  Then each bean must be split in half lengthwise.  This is sort of like trying to cut a toothpick into two long splinters.   Now, I like green beans.  I like them a lot...but you've got to really like green beans to slice them lengthwise.  After I nearly became That Mom With Only Nine Fingers, I started to think that there is a secret to cutting these things....otherwise they never would have caught on.

I didn't learn the secret.

My suggestion is this:  Only try this recipe if you are feeling masochistic or if you have a bounty of band-aids.

p.s.  These were really good beans. :with band-aids on fingers:

No comments:

Post a Comment