Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day Ninety One: Bigger Is Better

My son is on his Summer vacation.  This means he is spending a lot more time with me these past few days.  He's been to the hardware store once, the cleaners twice, and the grocery more times than he ever wanted to.  And he's been such a good sport about it all.  So when he pulled a box of chocolate chip cookie mix from the grocery store shelf, and asked me (with pleading blue eyes) if we could make chocolate chip cookies, I could hardly tell him no.

But I did.

I was not going to make chocolate chip cookies from a box when I knew I could make better from scratch, at home.  The problem was convincing my little blue-eyed angel of this fact.  After a five-minute conversation (which felt very similar to reasoning with a brick wall) I managed this:


Me:  But sweetie, Mommy has a better recipe at home.

Him:  Better??  Are they bigger?

Me:  Uh....sure.  Bigger.

Him:  Lots bigger??

Me:  Sure. Bigger.  Huge.  As big as your hand.

Him:  As big as my face? :cracks up laughing:

Me:  :seeing victory in sight: Sure.  As big as your face.  Can we put the box back now?  The ice cream is starting to melt and mommy still has to choose wine.


And that is how I ended up making Martha's Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The cookie mix itself isn't really different from any other cookie mix.  But instead of dropping the cookie dough on the sheet a spoonful at a time, you use a 1/4 measuring cup.

The resulting cookie, while not as big as your face, is still big enough to satisfy every little boy in your life.

It's true what they say:  bigger is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment