Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day Ninety-Nine: How to Shut Up Your Smoke Detector

One of the smoke detectors in my house is chirping.  It started chirping a few days ago.  This noise is meant to be a reminder that the battery is going low and that it needs to be replaced.  I usually leave this job to my husband because I hate heights and well, it seems like a husbandly responsibility.  But, since the smoke detector only seems to chirp (reminder!) when I'm home alone, I should take care of it before it starts to chirp (reminder!) in the middle of the night.

Which it did last night.

By code, homes in my city should have a smoke detector in each bedroom and one on each floor.  This adds up to a lot of smoke detectors.  Martha says you should change these batteries twice a year or whenever it begins to chirp.  (Reminder!)  MS Homekeeping Handbook, p. 653.  I guess that's my cue.


This morning, I pulled out the ladder, crawled up and tried to open the smoke detector.  Having never attempted this before, I only managed to pull the whole thing down from the ceiling.  Luckily, it was still attached by the electrical wires and (all) I had to do was attach it back to the ceiling with a twist-and-lock mechanism.  You are probably familiar with these sorts of gadgets.  Clever little things.

The problem with these damn clever twist-and-freaking-lock gadgets is that they are rather tricky when you can't actually see the holes into which you are supposed to twist-and-lock.  Ten minutes (and one aching arm) later, I managed to attach the smoke detector back onto the ceiling.

And then it chirped at me. (Reminder!)



Me:     Yes, I know, Mr. Smoke Detector.  I haven't actually changed the battery yet.  Thanks so-stinking-much for the reminder.

Smoke Detector:      :Chirp:



Ah.  I see.  There is a little battery drawer.  I've never heard of a battery drawer before, but here is what it looks like, in case you were wondering:

New installed battery:

Once I had put away the ladder and had begun feeling rather proud and clever, another smoke detector began to chirp. (Reminder!)


Is it just me, or are these things mocking me?

No comments:

Post a Comment