Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day Three Hundred Thirty Seven: Scones For You

Thursday I made Martha's Blueberry-Almond Scones...without the almonds.  I am sure they are lovely with almonds, but since my son has a nut allergy I decided to leave them out.  These are surprisingly easy to make, and you get to use a pastry blender, which is this little medevial-looking torture device.


In case you were wondering, a pastry blender cuts the butter into little crumbly pieces, which results in lovely, flakey breads.  You could accomplish the same thing with a couple of knives, but a pastry blender looks much cooler.

I guess there are several ways to make scones.  After the dough is made you can either: scoop them with a spoon and drop them onto a baking sheet (like a traditional cookie), or you can pat the dough into a circle and cut the into pizza-style triangles.  If you use the latter method, you end up with these perfect triangles of flakey, blueberry goodness:


These were so pretty they looked store-bought.  I was unreasonably proud of them and took more photos of them than a Vogue cover model.   I was so proud, in fact, I packed some up and left them on the doorstep of my British BFF.  She enjoyed them throughly.

And I didn't even have to impress her with my pastry blender-wielding skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment