Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day Three Hundred Thirty Five: Birthday Brownies

Around Christmas I made Martha's Truffle Brownies for my daughter's teachers.  Since a few of them still mention said brownies (some six weeks later), I thought I would try them again...with a twist.  See, I keep seeing Martha's recipe for Chocolate-Caramel Cookie Bars, which are sprinkled in sea salt. Salty and sweet in one bite?  My interest is piqued. So, instead of sprinkling the truffle brownies with little heart-shaped sprinkles, I sprinkled them with a little sea salt.  

The brownies turned out beautifully, but I have to admit: I got a little carried away with the salt.  I don't know what came over me.  As I started to sprinkle those big flakes of salt on the brownies, my mind wandered.  I started thinking that the salt flakes were little white sprinkles....and boy did I sprinkle the heck out of those brownies.

:shakes head:

I don't even know what to say in my own defense.

When I realized what I'd done, I tripped leaped over a lego tower and dug through the drawer dove for my trusty pastry brush.  Luckily, I was able to brush off the excess salt.  (Triumph!) The (slightly less salty) brownies were nothing short of amazing.  I packed up the brownies and gave them to a friend as an early birthday present.

Because everyone knows birthday calories don't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment