Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day One Hundred Eighteen: Lobster Wrestle Salad

Today I'm making Martha's Lobster Salad with Grapefruit, Avocado and Hearts of Palm.  It's in one of her recipe books and I've been passing it up for years, looking at it longingly.  It just sounds nice and light.  Martha serves it as an appetizer, but I thought it would make a great summer dinner.

Confession:  the recipe calls for you to actually buy and cook four live lobsters.  I did inspect the lobsters at my grocery.  Since none of them really looked like they were ready to be dinner, and I really didn't feel like wrestling with four lobsters, I kept walking.  I also wanted to avoid the inevitable request by my son to keep one as a pet.

I bought the tails instead:

The tails were much easier and faster to cook.  (No wrestling involved.)

The dressing for this salad is made with white wine vinegar and fresh basil.  It. is. wonderful.  After spilling it on the salad, I very nearly licked the remnants from the bowl.

The resulting salad is wonderfully light, and really, really good.  Like fancy restaurant good.
Had I known it was going to be worth it, I would have wrestled the lobsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment