Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day Two: Asparagus and Shitake Mushroom Terrine

In 1999, Martha published a Hors D'oeuvres Handbook.  In 2008, I bought said book from a second-hand book store, where it had sat for some time. (I cleverly deduced this by the dust on the cover.)   I  excitedly rushed home, devoured the book in one sitting, then discarded it on my kitchen counter for some weeks.  It was later moved to a book shelf, where it sat for some years.  The sudden decline in enthusiasm was probably due to the fact that the photos inside are terribly intimidating.  Each recipe title needs nine words to accurately describe it.  Each piece is carved into a shape, sauteed, toasted then garnished.  Each bite is a work of art.  How could you eat such beauty?

It is now 2012, and while I have perused this book many times, I have never made anything from it.  In fact, if this book is the standard for hors d'oeuvres, I've never made hors d'oeuvres in my life.

But today is The Day.  I will be a Hors D'oeuvres virgin no more.

Recipe: Asparagus and Shitake Mushroom Terrine, p 267, MS Hors D'oeuvres Handbook. (I'd post a link but I can't find one on Martha's site. )  Terrines are layered "loaves" of meat/veggies/cheese usually held together with a flavorless gelatin.  This one is held together with goat cheese.  (See post #1 to find out how I feel about things stuffed with cheese.)  According to Martha, this particular terrine goes well served over greens and dressed with a simple vinaigrette.  I'm using it for the salad course in my Winner Dinner. (Again, see Post #1.)

Let me say first that I think Martha should rename this book, Ridiculously Complicated and Time-Consuming Recipes to Give Your Caterer.   I imagine an ambitious bride bringing this book along to her first meeting with her caterer.  If you know a person who uses this book regularly and is not a professional chef, please give me her name.  I would like to shake her hand.

Challenge #1:  I nearly couldn't find labneh cheese, which apparently is a Greek cheese, similar to yogurt.  Thankfully the lady in the cheese section was very knowledgeable and steered me to the milk/yogurt section, where such "cheese" is usually found.   Thank you, Cheese Lady, whatever your name is...Without you I would still be roaming the grocery.

Challenge #2:   I had to buy find a metal terrine.  I tried two fancy culinary supply stores and neither had a metal terrine.  I ended up buying and using some sort of metal tray that I think is used for fruit cake.  Not an auspicious beginning...





Photo of the nearly completed terrine with leek leaves hanging.  It is later wrapped in the leek leaves, then covered in plastic wrap.  It must sit overnight, so I'll taste it tomorrow.  :fingers crossed:

Photos of completed terrine:



1 comment:

  1. Well isn't that pretty! I am pretty sure that I would eat everything you made. Guess I'm going to have to come for a visit again and get in on this blog as guinea pig...I'm willing to volunteer. Glad grandma said something about this the other day...

    ReplyDelete