Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day Eighteen: Ribbons and Sashes and Bows, oh my!

If you read yesterday's post, I'm getting into the Easter spirit!  Today I thought I would spruce up my entryway with a little Easter decor.

After seeing Martha's article on Easter Egg trees, it reminded me that I had some Christmas ornaments in the shape of eggs:

After my previous attempt at cutting branches, I decided it would be best *not* to attempt the Easter Egg Tree.

So, I strung the eggs on a ribbon to make a little egg hanging-thing.  It's really cute, but not the focus of this post, so you'll have to wait for a photo of it....

I needed a bow as a final touch, but a simple bow would be too....er...well, simple.  I found Martha's directions to make a rose bow and thought I would give it a try.


**Public Service Announcement**

When directions start with the phrase "with a little patience and a lot of practice" you should be alarmed.

If you do not, in fact, have a lot of patience and a lot practice time, you might just want to give the whole thing up.  Or you'll end up with a lot of frustration.

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything.

This message was brought to you by your friends at One Martha A Day.


These photos were taken at the beginning of my efforts to create a rose bow.  The directions were less than explicit, so in addition to "a little patience and a lot of practice," you also needed to be a mind-reader.

Fold at a 90-degree angle....
 .....then roll at the seam...
 ....secure...
...no, that's not right....


Start over....


and over...


and over...

(As you might imagine at this point, my frustration level was pretty high.  My ribbon was also pretty mangled.)

After several (dozen) attempts, somehow I divined that there was a special twist-thing you had to do with the ribbon....and then it worked.

:Angel Chorus:




(At this point I'm pretty much feeling like a genius.)


My cute little rose wasn't quite big enough for the egg-ornament decoration, so I added a double bow underneath:



Finally, my rose bow/ double bow combo:



I pretty much feel like a genius right now.  If the doctors working on the cure for cancer called, I could probably work out the answer.

Just sayin'. 
:shrug:

1 comment: