Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day Forty Three: Don't Bug Me Anymore Cupcakes

I made a mistake the other day.  After the Honey Lace Cookies nearly set off my smoke detector, I decided insect-themed treats were not my gift.  My son won't be bringing them to school. My mistake was not informing my son about this realization.  He was disappointed that he would not be the bearer of sugary delights and he let me know it:  By asking me over and over and over and over when could we bring treats to his class.  I relented and (with permission from the teacher) decided to try Martha's bug cupcakes.  They are achingly cute but the directions don't look that hard. (Yes, I know those are famous last words.)

Cupcakes:


Tops of the cupcakes removed and cut in half:


Beheaded cupcake with frosting:


The cupcake tops turn into (ta-da!) WINGS:
Seriously, how clever is that?


One could stop there, but Martha wouldn't, so neither will I....


Creating the bug heads with gumdrops and licorice:
The trickiest part of the whole operation was getting that licorice to stick into the head.  Curse you, bug anatomy.


Decorated cupcakes:


I cannot express how excited my son was to bring these cupcakes to his class this morning.  They fit almost all  the favorite criteria for boys' favorite things:  1) bugs, 2) sugar, and 3) a high potential for getting dirty.  If these cupcakes could also make a lot of noise and glow in the dark, they would be prefect.

No comments:

Post a Comment