Friday, November 30, 2012

Day Two Hundred Sixty-Four: Hang Me Now

This week has been filled with Christmas decorating for me.  I've decked the halls and trimmed the tree all week.  Actually, make that trees, plural.  I have six.  Why I started putting Christmas trees in our bedrooms I will never know.  We started it when our son was born six years ago.  Now it's tradition and I can't get around it.  :such a sucker:

You may be wondering why I'm rushing to decorate.  Christmas isn't for weeks and it's not even December yet.  The push is because Saturday I'm hosting a Sip & See for a friend and her new baby girl and I'm pretty sure the guests don't want to sit on boxes of Christmas decorations I've just hauled down from the attic.

Probably not the most festive atmosphere.

So, when we returned home on Sunday from our Thanksgiving holiday, we pulled out the Christmas decorations and I started trimming the faux tree.  Since we have three ornament murderers kids living under our roof, I wanted to make sure all my lovely ornaments were secure.  Luckily for me, Martha has a tutorial on Tree-Trimming Secrets.  Namely, How to Hang Ornaments.

Now, I'm sure you've been hanging ornaments since your own mother let you hang up that awful thing you made in Kindergarten.  But you've probably been doing it All Wrong.

Martha suggests suspending ornaments from copper wire instead of the tiny hooks that we all use.  To make your own hangers, thread a five-inch piece of wire through the ornament loop, twist one end of the wire to secure the ornament, then wrap the other end around the branch until the ornament is secure.

This is Martha's lovely Visual For Idiots:


The drawing is so nice and neat, no?

Now I will be honest.  I tried this...for a while.  After the first dozen ornaments, I started getting a bit sloppy.  See photo below:  

After my fingertips started going numb, I gave up.

Calling all members of the O.C.D. Club:  this method is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment