Friday, November 16, 2012

Day Two Hundred Fifty-Two: Almost-Spicy Asian Brittle

As part of the cocktail fundraiser I mentioned yesterday, I also made Martha's Spicy Asian Brittle.  Nuts are always something fun to snack on and I figured this would be a jazzy version of the usual bowl of mixed nuts.

It's a simple recipe and you can make it a few days ahead of a party.  Mix almonds, cashews, wasabi peas, sesame sticks, sesame seeds and red-pepper flakes with a soy-syrup mix you make.  Don't do what I did and forget the soy sauce and have to make the recipe twice.  (Yes, I did.)

If you make the recipe correctly the first time (or the second) the result is a nut mix that's a little spicy and sweet.  I think naming it "spicy" is a bit of a misnomer, though.  It's Asian inspired, but hardly spicy.  I'll probably make this again, but add way more red pepper...


...And remember to add all the ingredients on the first go.

No comments:

Post a Comment