Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day One Hundred Thirty Two: Grown-up Fish Sticks

When one's husband goes out of town, some ladies may enjoy a chick-flick and a pint of Haagan-Daz. Others may enjoy a babysitter and a bottle of wine with girlfriends.

I enjoy fish.    

As I may have mentioned a few thousand times before, my hubby loves meat.  Specifically red meat.  He will gladly eat fish (especially sushi) but I can't serve fish too often without him playing the martyr.  (Love you, honey, but you know it's true.)  Since he is out of town tonight, I decided to sneak in an extra fish dish, just for me.  I feel like Jennifer Aniston going to an expensive Italian restaurant and ordering only steamed broccoli, but whatever.

I decided to try Martha's Fish Sticks for Grown-Ups for several reasons: 
1) I :heart: salmon,
2) It's easy, 
3) I'm a lazy person at heart, and 
4) I get to use some cute over-sized toothpicks. (They're accessories for food!) 



When you buy the salmon, don't forget keep the skin on.  It will impress the fishmonger helps keep the fish together.  I actually forgot this step but the fish held together just fine.  Coat with oil and curry paste, slide onto (adorable!) skewers and grill.  I made some with just oil, salt and pepper, too.  I used my grill pan since the Grill Master (a.k.a. my hubby) was out.  The salmon turned out juicy and flavorful.  It was so good, I may start eating all fish on a stick.  Somehow I don't think this will fly at restaurants.

But it would be fun to try.


Me:       I'd like the Chilean Sea Bass with jumbo lump crab meat and the sauteed spinach...

Waiter:   Okay.  Great!

Me:   ...And I'd like that served on a stick, please. 


Just the dumbfounded look on the waiter's face would make it worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment