Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day One Hundred Nineteen: Berries, Part I

There was a sale on berries at the grocery on Tuesday.  Strawberries.  Blueberries.  Raspberries. Blackberries.  It was like a wonderland of fruity goodness.  I walked through the sliding glass doors and everything was suddenly technicolor.  If my life were a musical, oompa loompas would have jumped out and burst into song.  As it was, I sashayed over to the display and filled my cart.

I went a little overboard.  

As I was unpacking my bags at home, I realized I had more berries than even our berry-loving family was likely to eat in the next few days.  Thankfully, I came across Martha's Mixed Berry Salad.  It looks simple and refreshing, but best of all it will use all those technicolor berries.

All you do is mix a few tablespoons of Grand Marnier (or any orange liqueur) with sugar, then gently mix in the berries with a little mint.  It would probably not kill you to add a little more Grand Marnier.  I did, and it tastes lovely.  Add as much as you like.  It's just for flavor, right?  At some point, however, adding to much liqueur will change this from a salad to garnish.

Just Sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment