Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day Thirty Three: Tarts for Tarts

Happy Easter, folks!

We had a busy day today.  In addition to our out-of-town family, we had another family of four join us for Easter lunch.  I had to peel myself out of bed before six a.m. to get lunch started...And any time I have to see the wrong side of seven a.m., it is NOT a Good Thing, Martha.  

One of the items on our menu was Martha's Asparagus and Gruyere Tart.  I like tarts.  They look fancy but are easy to make.  I also like the fact that the British use the word "tart" as a euphemism for a prostitute.  Using the same word to describe both a pastry and a prostitute amuses me. 

If you like to impress people with your culinary prowess, but are lazy and don't actually like to do much work :raises hand: put this on your next menu.  Dressing like a Tart is entirely optional.

You start with store-bought puff pastry (Martha actually condones this, I promise.) :hand over heart:


Fold over the edges and put it in the oven:

Shred a bunch of cheese:

After the pastry has cooked, throw the cheese on, lay the uncooked asparagus on top....

Cook for 25 minutes and Bingo:

Looks good, tastes great, and you look like a culinary call girl genius.  

p.s.  I told the kids that this was a pizza and they totally bought it.  


1 comment: