Friday, April 20, 2012

Day Forty Five: Spicy Cauliflower Surprise

I am trying to lose my baby weight.  "Baby weight" is the weight one gains while pregnant (and that hangs around after the baby is born).  For me, that number encompasses the extra weight from my baby plus that ten pounds I wanted to lose before I was pregnant.

My baby is welcome to this last few pounds.

I don't know a single person who doesn't want to lose a few pounds.  After all, this is America, land of the Overwieght, home of the Diet.  Of course, my writing this blog and consequently buying butter in bulk doesn't help at all.

To that end, I thought I would take advantage of Martha's Healthy Main Dishes and try her Roasted Salmon with Spicy Cauliflower.

According to my husband, the salmon was just "eh".  Nothing really exciting to say there.  The Cauliflower is another story.  Warning:  disgusting-looking photos ahead.

The Cauliflower starts by taking a bunch of anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes and mashing it up into a paste:

The result looks like something you'd find on the floor of a frat-boy's car on a Sunday morning, or what your cat threw up last week.

Lovely cauliflower:

Then take the cauliflower and toss it into the cat vomit garlic-anchovy paste:

When it's cooked, not only does the cauliflower look brown and burnt, but the garlic-anchovy paste has blackened into something that looks like bird droppings...


HOWEVER, it tastes like a bit of spicy heaven....if you like garlic, red pepper and salt (which I do).  My hubby and I were fighting over who was going to get the last bit of cauliflower. But if you make this for guests, don't worry about people fighting over second-helpings.  This dish looks so terrible, you'll probably have plenty of leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment