Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day Two Hundred Sixty-Two: Hot Buttered Rum

What do you make when you've spent the last two days eating?

A cocktail.

Since it was cold and snowy outside, I decided to make Martha's Hot Buttered Rum.  If you are unfamiliar with this concoction, it's a sweet cocktail, served warm.  I've had it before, but never actually made one from scratch.  If I had given it any thought, I would have assumed that the "hot butter" portion of the drink was only a buttery flavoring or similar.  Possibly a colorful nickname for a more sober (no pun intended) drink.

It's not.

The recipe is basically brown sugar mixed with a bunch of spices and a stick of butter.  Yes, a stick of butter.  Pour rum and hot water over the butter mixture and it's done.  "Hot Buttered Rum" is pretty much just that: hot, buttered, rum.

It's also hot, buttery deliciousness.  I would have drank about a dozen of them, but since I had made the first recipe, I knew each one was the equivalent of eating a couple tablespoons of butter.  One look at my hips made me re-think making more than one batch.



Oh, but I wanted to.


p.s. this is Martha's photo above.  For some reason, my computer did not like the photos I took of my own Hot Buttered Rum. :sigh:

1 comment: