Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day One Hundred Forty Six: Not-Exactly-A-Book Club Cake

Every month an intrepid group of friends meet to discuss important topics like reality television, misbehaving children and celebrity gossip. Tears of laughter are shed.  A great deal of wine is consumed. We call this group Book Club.*

*  Technically there is a book assigned, but it is rarely discussed 
at any length, unless it relates to one of the topics listed above. 

This month, Book Club was at my house.  For dessert, I made Martha's Coffee Meringue-Ice Cream Cake.  Since meringue is such a favorite, I knew it would be a big hit.

The cake is made by smoothing coffee ice cream between two meringue layers.  The meringue is laced with liquid coffee extract, which not only gives it nice flavor, it also makes pretty coffee-colored swirls in the meringue.


I had no problems with my meringue-ice cream cake...until I tried to soften the ice cream using my stand mixer per the recipe.  I forgot to "lock" the mixer in the down position and it opened up, hurling a half-gallon of ice cream across my kitchen.  Thankfully, I had an extra carton of ice cream in the freezer and managed to salvage the recipe.

My floor is still a bit sticky.

I thought the dessert was delish, and if the lack of leftovers was any indication, my Book Club did too.

2 comments:

  1. It. Was. Heaven. I might serve it on Presidents Day (right after I vote) or to visiting royalty like Rick Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this deliciousness when I missed "book club" this month. Thans for a blog post with pictures to rub it in. ;)

    ReplyDelete