Monday, March 4, 2013

Day Three Hundred Sixty Two: Terrific T-Shirt Necklace

One of the things I like best about Martha is how she can make something amazing out of nothing.  A couple eggs?  She'll cut herbs from her garden and whip up a gorgeous herb quiche.  Scraps of felt?  She'll make beautiful baby booties.

So I was intrigued when I saw Martha's Recycled T-Shirt Necklace.  It's an old t-shirt turned into a pretty darn cute necklace.  I had to see if it really could be done.

It starts with a regular t-shirt.  This is one I never wear.  The back is covered in sponsor names.  I'm pretty sure most people have a shirt that looks similar to this at home.


Cut off the bottom hem and discard.  Then cut the body of the shirt horizontally into strips.  This will make large loops.

Lots of loops:

One at a time, pull the loops and stretch the fabric until it starts to curl.  Stack the loops on top of one another so that all the side seams are in the same spot. They sort of look like thick pieces of yarn.  It doesn't matter what was printed on the shirt, now you can't see it anyway!


Once you have the thickness you desire, secure the seams with a scrap piece of fabric about six inches long from the same shirt.  


And the final product:

Um.....Shockingly cute, right?  Not bad for a shirt that was just taking up space in my shirt drawer.

Three days left.....

1 comment:

  1. I expect to see this worn at a certain someone's upcoming Derby Party ;)

    ReplyDelete