Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day Three Hundred Fifty Nine: Don't Mess With My Couscous

The grocery I frequent has an amazing prepared food section.  There they offer all sorts of prepared foods for you to take home and warm up, and lots of amazing cold salads:  chicken salads, pasta salads, and green salads of all types. (Some of you are familiar with this den of temptation called Central Market.) One of my favorite is a Israeli couscous salad.  It's made with those little couscous pearls and it's delicious.   :drool:    I dream about it from time to time.  I ran across Martha's recipe for Couscous Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and it looks suspiciously similar.

I had to try it.

You start by actually toasting the couscous in a small pan before cooking it in boiling water like pasta.  Once it's tender, drain it and rise until cool.  Then toss couscous, quartered cherry tomatoes, diced shallots, balsamic vinegar and a spot of oil in a bowl.  Let sit at room temperature for an hour then serve:


I took this photo before the couscous had marinated.  After an hour, it starts to turn a nutty brown color.

I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb here:  this is better than my grocery version.  We've been compulsively eating it for a couple days now and it actually gets better the longer it marinates. My husband was a little put out when he found out I had eaten the last of it.

I will definitely be serving this again.  And soon.    

Six Days.....


No comments:

Post a Comment