Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day Three Hundred Forty Four: Chocolate Happens

After my success with the chocolate fondue on Tuesday, I decided to make my husband Martha's Chocolate-Covered Strawberries.  I figured it couldn't be very hard to melt chocolate and dip strawberries into it.

Chopped nuts for garnish?  Check:

Gorgeous strawberries, ready for dipping?  Check:

Rock hard chocolate? Check:

You might be wondering..."Isn't that chocolate supposed to be melted?"  Why yes, clever person, it should be.  But the longer I melted the chocolate in the double boiler, the harder it became.  I practically had to chisel it out of the bowl when I was done.

Needless to say no strawberries were dipped into chocolate that night. (Sorry, honey.)

The next day I did a little internet research and found out that making one of the following mistakes will cause your melted chocolate to "seize":  1) heating the chocolate over too high of heat, or  2) allowing steam/moisture from the double boiler to get into the chocolate.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do one of these things.  I positive I did both.

I've always been a bit of an over-achiever.

No comments:

Post a Comment